A field visit to the Iraqi reform office/ Ar-Risafah third prison
On 9/8/2017 a team of human rights department has visited the Iraqi reform office/ Ar-Risafah third prison, after checking all of the infrastructures, the prison sectors and the halls of the prisoners to be noticed about their situation, the team right down some notes according to the prison’s act that can be clarified as follows:
1. The prison led by the Iraqi reform office and this matches the provisions of
article (1) of the prison administration act.
2. Provisions of department (5) of the prison administration act:
- The capacity: 104
- The total existence of the prisoners on the day of visit: 64
- Convicts: 62
- Suspenders: 2
- Arabians: None
- Foreigners: 1 of Canadian nationality
- The number of sectors and prison halls: 1 sector and 7 halls
3. Feeding the prisoners according to the provisions of department (8) of prison administration act: After asking the prisoners and checking the quality and the quantity of the food that prepared to them and having a copy of the food schedule the team found that the entrepreneur is following the schedule precisely including the quantity and the quality of food, the quality of cooking food was medium, the team also noticed that feeding the inmates of the department is differ from the other departments, where the entrepreneur is providing them with uncooked food, then the inmates start to cook it up to their desire inside the halls except rice and broth that delivered to them cooked, the team then directs the management of department to keep feeding them and submit any complaints to the public management in order to take them into consideration.
4. The Solarization according to the provisions of department (9) of prison administration act: The team noticed that the solarization is of one hour a day, except those of except those of tuberculosis diseases that exposed to an-open-period of time because of their condition.
5. Medical services that provided to the prisoners according to the provisions of department (8) of prison administration act: the department take into consideration registering the names of ill-prisoners and sending them to the medical center in the Iraqi reform office near to the department in order to check them, as for emergency cases and incurable cases that require surgical intervention, they will be send to the hospitals, the manager asserts that there are cases that don’t need to send the inmate to the third-Risafah department, but some department used to send the inmates after the end of the day-work without a recommendation from the specialist doctor. The health manager asserts that the reason behind the increase of death status is that the departments don’t send the ill-inmates unless their health-condition get worse or be in a clinical death. The number of those of synchronized diseases is (64) and those of special needs is (5).
6. The Separation of the prisoners according to the provisions of department (4) of prison administration act: The inmates of the third-Risafah department can be classified due to the kind of disease.
7. Family-visits according to the provisions of department (14) of prison administration act: There are periodic family visits to the prisoners each month including only one-family-visit to the men and one-family-visit to the women in the month that follows, there are TVs. for each hall and there is a telephone call between the prisoners and their families throughout a special committee consist of the manager of department, assistant and the social researcher.
8. Personal hygiene according to the provisions of department (6) of prison administration act: There’s an interest about Personal hygiene of prisoners as much as possible, including a sufficient water for bathing, clean clothes, blankets and mattresses are also regularly distributed in addition to underwear, the manager and assistants assert that there’s a clear lack regarding the sterile materials the and protective covers that the employees use, the presence of bathrooms and sanitary facilities inside the prison halls was observed in a good condition.